Monday, July 23, 2007

My First Tutorial – Faux Metal (and other things)


I hope you enjoy my first ever tutorial to be posted on my blog. During this tutorial you will learn to make the same card that was made at my Hostess Appreciation Evening. You will see three main techniques here – faux metal, paper piercing and scalloped edge.



Materials:
Stamps: Mostly Flowers, All Year Cheer
Ink: Versamark, Ruby Red
Cardstock: Ruby Red, Old Olive, Marigold Morning, Very Vanilla (I used Vanilla as I had plenty of that but you could use any colour as it will be covered up by the embossing powder anyway)
Other: Heat tool, Silver detail embossing powder, slit punch, large square punch, SNAIL adhesive, Mat Pack, Paper Piercer


Faux Metal Technique





1. Press your Very Vanilla cardstock to the Versamark pad. Cover about half the cardstock with the Versamark.




2. Sprinkle your silver detail powder over the cardstock. Tip off excess and funnel back into the jar. Always move your embossing powder away from your heating area so that you don’t have any accidents! Same goes for your Versamark pad - put the lid back on right away.



3. Heat with your heat tool until the embossing powder turns shiny. Allow to cool for a few seconds.



4. Press into Versamark again repeat step 2.



5. Heat with heat tool until shiny. This time work quickly to sprinkle more powder on while it is still hot and sticky. This way you do not have to keep waiting for it to cool and re-Versamark. Repeat this process until you have 4 or 5 layers of powder.



6. After heating the last layer of powder, work quickly and carefully to press your stamp onto the warm embossing powder. Press firmly and try not to let it slip.



7. Allow to cool and remove stamp.




8. Cut out with the square punch. The stamps from Mostly Flowers fit perfectly into the largest square punch! “Negative” images such as those in the Mostly Flowers set work very well with the Faux Metal technique.




Ok, I think I’ll leave it there for now and present the rest of the tutorial for this card later on. There are babies to feed and housework to be done! See you tomorrow.

Oh, if you have time, could you please leave a comment to let me know what you think of the tutorial so far. Feedback is much appreciated.

3 comments:

Ursula James said...

Well done Bec!!! I like it.. You are truly an inspiration!!! I must get too it and do something myself... Love Ursula

Anonymous said...

Excellent tutorial, very well written and easy to understand.

Anonymous said...

cute card and well done tutorial.